New Call for Submissions - That One Time...
Calling all frontline workers and their children - we want to hear your stories!
Fighting Words is launching a project to draw together a collection of writing reflecting the experiences, thoughts and ideas of frontline workers and their families during this time.
- This call for submissions is open to frontline workers of all descriptions – including but not limited to medical workers, delivery drivers, shop assistants, emergency workers, post office staff, bus drivers – and their children.
- We welcome submissions from all over the island of Ireland.
- Submissions can be in English or in Irish
- Submissions can be fiction or non-fiction. You may want to tell the story of the times we live in now or you may choose to tell us a different story that you - or your children, want to write to reflect the current times.
- Maximum word counts do apply:
- Writers age 7-9: 500 words
- Writers age 10-13: 800 words
- Writers 14+: 1000 words
- We welcome all forms of creative writing including prose, poetry, comics, illustration, and song lyrics.
- If you need help getting started, we have resources to help you - click here.
- Submissions open on Tuesday, 12 May 2020
- Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis for the foreseeable future
- Submissions may be in English or in Irish
- Send your stories in an editable format (e.g. Microsoft Word). Illustrations and comics should be sent as JPEGs.
How to submit:
Email your submissions to email@example.com with FRONTLINE FAMILIES SUBMISSION in the subject line with the following information included:
- Name of author
- Age of author
- County where you live
- Title of story
- Word Count (please note maximum word counts as outlined above)
- Parent/Guardian name (if applicable)
- Parent/Guardian contact telephone number (if applicable)
IMPORTANT: All submissions from those under 18 should be sent from a parent/guardian email address.
All submissions will be acknowledged by email and entrants will receive a copy of the terms and conditions.
Fighting Words reserves the right not to publish submissions if details listed above are not included in full, or if the submitted work contravenes our Equal Opportunities and/or Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy.
Any questions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with FRONTLINE FAMILIES QUESTION in the subject line.
- If you are 18 years or older:
I am a participant in the project "That One Time," which will result in a digital publication.
I understand that all rights to submissions belong to the contributing writer/artist and to the non-profit organisations Fighting Words/Fighting Words NI, which may reproduce the contributed work in connection with the promotion of the project and the publication. Any possible proceeds from the project will support Fighting Words’ work to foster generations of strong writers, empathetic readers and creative thinkers across the island.
- If you are a parent/guardian for a participant under 18 years:
I confirm that I am parent/guardian for the participant in the project "That One Time", which will result in a digital publication.
I understand that all rights to submissions belong to the contributing writer/artist and to the non-profit organisations Fighting Words/Fighting Words NI, which may reproduce the contributed work in connection with the promotion of the project and the publication. Any possible proceeds from the project will support Fighting Words and Fighting Words NI’s work to foster generations of strong writers, empathetic readers and creative thinkers across the island.
For all participants: - Fighting Words/Fighting Words NI reserves the right not to publish content that contravenes our Equal Opportunities and/or Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy. Both policies are found on www.fightingwords.ie
Fighting Words & Fighting Words NI are responsible for storing your data securely.
By signing up and submitting a piece of writing or other artwork to this project, you accept that the non-profit organisation Fighting Words/Fighting Words NI may use your information in connection with the creation of the project “That One Time" and publish your contribution digitally. All rights are reserved to you as author / artist and Fighting Words.
No unauthorised person will gain access to your information. Your e-mail address will not be used for purposes other than to communicate with you directly regarding "That One Time.”